30 September 2010

Happy Farmer's Thousand Island Dressing

Coach and his great-grandbaby Dexter

Thousand Island Dressing

1 pint miracle whip
3 boiled eggs (chopped)
1/4 cup green onion (chopped)
2 Tablespoons sweet relish
1/2 cup ketchup
1 pimento (chopped)
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/4 teaspoon salt
Directions: Mix ingredients and let set overnight in refrigerator before serving. My dad loves salad and this was his favorite dressing.

"The Happy Farmer"

My Dad (Coach) loved having a garden. After the kids all grew up, dad took down the above-ground pool in the backyard and put a garden in its place. He also had lots of fruit trees. He loved doing a garden mainly because I think he loved sharing all the fruits and vegetables with loved ones. One year he even came to North Carolina and I asked him to do three things, help me start a garden, help me coach my daughter's softball team and vacuum my floors. He was great at all of them and I loved having him and mom stay with me that spring. I had a great ball team, wonderful garden and the cleanest floors. Ironically, about eight years ago when I went to visit my parents, I noticed that my dad wasn't coaching ball, didn't have a garden and the floors in their house hadn't been vacuumed in a very long time. It was then I truly suspected something was wrong with Coach. Later he was diagnosed with Alzheimer's. After my mom passed away last year, we were blessed to have my niece Cassie live with him and then there's Teresa his caregiver who comes faithfully each day and takes care of him. What a blessing it is to have their love and care for my dad. It has taken a lot of burden off our family. My sister Martha, her husband and family have done so much. I am so grateful to them. I like to refer to Coach as "The Happy Farmer" because he loved to garden and he could play the song on the piano. Jessica has been playing that same song now for the past three weeks so its made me think a lot of my dad. Coach is truly "The Happy Farmer."

"The Lord knows and loves
the elderly among His people.
It has always been so..."
~Ezra Taft Benson

4 comments:

  1. A great post about Coach. I need to get Janna to learn to play that song. I always loved playing it too. It's a fun one to learn. I love the picture of Dex and Coach too. I love you Beth.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember too how Coach always had Thousand Island Dressing on his salad and how Mom use to always make it for him. Love this post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My husband and sons love Thousand Island dressing.....this recipe sounds so good! Really cute memories of your dad!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for getting back to blogging Beth. All summer long I continued coming to your site just hoping you had posted another one of your fun stories about life. I'm so blessed to have such wonderful siblings setting an example of how to live this Gospel and showing me the way HOME everyday. Thanks so much for sharing this one. GREAT memories. I'm not Crying! Are you Crying? Love you Sheba!

    ReplyDelete