24 January 2010

Mission Memories

MTC 1977
Florida Ft. Lauderdale Spanish District
Day Before Leaving the MTC
Me ~ December 1979
My last day in the mission field
Last night our stake had a youth activity where our young men and women were called on missions and various returned missionaries taught the cultures of their missions and shared experiences. This week I was also contacted by a former missionary from my MTC district, so I have been pondering my mission experience, which I returned from thirty years ago last month. I've been especially thinking about my MTC experience.
I had a hard time learning spanish in my mission, especially at the MTC. All the missionaries seemed to be getting it so much quicker than me and it got me a little depressed. It wasn't until I got out in the mission field and I was speaking more fluently that I realized it wasn't how good you could speak the language that was important, what truly converted people to the gospel was the Holy Ghost. We were taught the importance of the spirit from the first day in the MTC but until it's seen in action, I can't really say that I understood that principle. I saw how the spirit touched converts and truly turned their hearts toward the gospel. In fact, the faith that I see in new converts still always amazes me and touches my heart to this day.
Anyway, back to my MTC experience. It was so great! Our district was a little bit crazy and it was good because the light-hearted fun of those missionaries really lifted my spirits and was a great start for my mission. Some of the missionaries in that district were the first missionaries to serve in the Dominican Republic so I feel pretty special to be associated with them.
(FYI ~ Why the short ties? It was tradition for the elders to wear their ties backwards the day before leaving the MTC and the sisters in my three-some wanted to get in on that tradition so we all wore short ties too.) Fun memories. Hurrah for Israel!
"I'll go where you want me to go,
Dear Lord...
I'll be what you want me to be."

2 comments:

  1. We had a Tongan elder serve in our ward for a time. He was new to America and just learning english. It was so difficult for him. I could hardly understand his words, but he got up and bore his testimony one Sunday and inspite of him lacking in ability to speak english the Spirit was so powerful. I realized then that our American missionaries serving in foreign tongues no doubt did the same thing early in their missions. We only hear from them when they return and have the language down. It's a miracle, learning a language. I was so proud of your service. I so wanted to go, but it wasn't my time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful memory. I hope you post more mission memories as you do your recipes. smile!

    ReplyDelete