29 January 2010

How I Met My Husband...

Beth & Dave 1983

Today is our 27th wedding anniversary. I met Dave a few months after I had graduated from Brigham Young University in 1982. I went back to Provo to visit an old class chum and while I was sitting in the living room of her apartment, I could look out her window and see the front doors of all the other apartments in her building. As I sat, I watched how this guy was knocking on each door, going in for a little while and coming out and then going to the next door. At first I thought he was just some guy in the neighborhood mooching meals but there was something different about him. I asked my friend who he was and she said, "Oh that's just Dave, he's in the elder's quorum presidency, he goes around all the time, he'll be here in a minute. He's my home teacher" I was intrigued... was this guy for real or was he just trying to get brownies from some naive coeds. As I met him and we dated, I realized what a sincere, kind person he truly is. Today, I still know that he's that kind, young man I saw over twenty-seven years ago... always the one willing to listen and to help others. There's been times that I've thought, "he's too nice...he lets people abuse him." Then I think of the scripture, "charity suffereth long and is kind..." He's always been the example I've needed to be kind and loving to everyone.

"...I know that I am...the luckiest"

~Ben Folds

7 comments:

  1. Don't fool yourself ... he just wants brownies. Lots of 'em. JUST KIDDING!!!! I look forward to the day when I can meet your 'other half'! Happy Anniversary friends!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tia Juana, We'll see you in May! Can't wait.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love you and I love Dave. What a great couple. What great examples. Happy Anniversary!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Anniversary ! You both are such wonderful people that have been a great example to me!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Anniversary to you both! I tear up every time I think of the wonderful example you both are to me. Thanks you for all you do. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great story--I can just picture Dave with all of his energy going door to door. What an amazing guy..

    ReplyDelete