03 February 2010

New Information on SIDS

Today Steven David would have been 23 years old. Curiously, I went to the Internet to see if there was any recent news of the cause of SIDS and there is a new finding that babies with low levels of the chemical "serotonin" in their brains are linked to having more of a chance of being SIDS babies. Researchers are now looking into how babies can be screened to see if they have low serotonin levels.
Research has come a long way since our tragedy with Steven and SIDS. I believe it was a little bit after Steven died that SIDS organizations came out with their "Babies should be put to sleep on their backs" campaign and supposedly this prevented more deaths, even though its just one of more than a few risk factors for babies that die of SIDS.
Now, with this new research, maybe it will mean that many more families won't have to deal with this anguish. But, like Spencer W. Kimball has said about tragedy:

"...Being human,
we would expel from our lives
physical pain and mental anguish
and assure ourselves of continual
ease and comfort,
but if we were to close the doors upon sorrow and distress,
we might be excluding our greatest friends and benefactors.
Suffering can make saints of people
as they learn patience,
long-suffering, and self-mastery. . . ."

Oddly, for the most part, I've felt a sense of peace with what happened to Steven even though I 'm sad because I miss him and I wouldn't want the experience to happen to anyone...I understand it.

Video: Low serotonin levels linked to SIDS - Video News Live

6 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing Beth! You are a wonderful example to me in many ways!Love You

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't even imagine how hard that must have been--thank you for sharing such beautiful thoughts....

    ReplyDelete
  3. There are many happy reunions awaiting all of us. I think the most sweet to be seen will be a mother and father's reunion with the little one that had been lost.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Beth, he is so cute!! I try to stay up to date with SIDS as well. It is awful that they can't stop it yet. Hopefully before my kids have kids.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beth, this is the first picture I have seen of him. So adorably sweet!! You seem to have come to a place of peace and acceptance that is inspiring to me. Your continued interest and concern for the journey of others through their SIDS experience exemplifies your love and willingness to love Steven in this unexpected way.

    ReplyDelete