17 December 2008

REMEMBERING STEVEN

During a church meeting, once I was asked to share some Christmas traditions that our family does every year. I really had a hard time coming up with some heartwarming ideas. We do the regular putting up the Christmas tree every year and the reading from the Bible in Luke and we've tried things from year to year but nothing on a consistent basis. Then it came to me--something so simple that I hadn't really thought about but something that we always do.
We lost a baby son, "Steven David" in February of 1987 and he was only about a month old when he passed away, so we never celebrated Christmas with him but every year we have always put up a stocking for him at Christmas. Its been our tradition so that we will always remember him and keep alive the knowledge that he will always be a part of our family even in death. In some way, I know he is there with us, especially on this most sacred and loving time of year.
". . . little children are alive in Christ,
even from the foundations of the world. . ."
Moroni 8:12
A good friend, Rebecca N. gave me this quote she heard on television:
"When you lose your parents,
you're an orphan.
When you lose your spouse,
you're a widow or widower.
When you lose your baby...well,
there is no word for that."

6 comments:

  1. lockharts!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! angie and jake need to meet up with anna.. she graduates soon and then will attend grad school at utah state

    ReplyDelete
  2. I should put up a stocking for Martha Ann.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember that event as if it were yesterday, my Zac was born in February of 1987 and I remember being scared for him. I would put up a stocking too. I'm glad you found my blog. Love ya!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beth! I am so happy to have found your blog! I love you so much! You are one of my favorite people in all the world! Thanks for sharing that wonderful tradition!

    ReplyDelete