17 September 2009

Family History Catch Up

One of my goals this year was to write a little bit about members of my family on their birthdays. Well, I haven't been totally successful but I thought I'd try to catch up on a few.
My Paternal Grandmother
Grandma Martha Ann
was born the 6th of August 1896. She married my grandfather at age twenty-one and had five children. They said she played the piano and organ by heart and played every Sunday for church. She passed away from tuberculosis when my dad was only six month's old. One of the teachings of the church that my dad responded to when he was learning about the church was "The Plan of Salvation" and how families are sealed together forever. He was anxious to have ordinance work done for his mother. Martha Ann died the 25th of December 1927.

My Maternal Grandmother
Grandma Cassie
She was born on the 4th of September 1899; they say she was only 1 1/2 pounds at birth and that her parents put her in a shoebox and fed her a drop of whisky through an eye dropper every hour for the first night. She survived. Her family made a meager living picking cotton on farms in east Texas. She didn't go to school and taught herself to read and write when she was eighteen. Her family joined the church when she was about eleven years old. She moved west at age eighteen and at age twenty-seven married my grandfather, a widower who was raising two boys. They had twins of their own--my mom, Dorothy and brother Doyle. They raised their family in San Bernardino and San Dimas, California. They also homesteaded property in Lucerne Valley for two years. Grandma loved children and loved to care for others. In addition to her family, she often took care of lots of cousins, nieces and nephews. She ran a boarding house and in later years, lived with and took care of my Great-Aunt Pearl. I have fond memories of going to her house for sleep-overs and also going to lunch at her apartment near the high school. She was a great cook, very thrifty and hard-working. My favorite memory was when I was a young adult and grandma started collecting cans. It started because I believe we were collecting cans for scouts. When Grandma found out that boys were getting cash for cans she took recycling to a whole new level. Besides having family, friends, and neighbors saving their cans for her, she had her own little route that she would go on daily which included dumpster diving at nearby businesses. I was kinda embarrassed for her because she would dress up in a big garbage bag and wear a shower cap. One day I told her she shouldn't do it, it was dangerous and she looked like a crazy bag lady. Besides, how much money could really be made from collecting cans. Was it really worth the trouble? I'll never forget her response, "this money that I'm making is to send your nephews on missions." She then proceeded in her own simple way to tell me the blessings of missionary work. I don't remember ever hearing grandma bear her testimony but I did feel the spirit from her that day and I knew her motives for collecting cans were sacred in nature. From that moment on, whenever I saw my grandma in her "can collecting get-up," walking down the street, I thought to myself..."there goes an elect lady." Seriously, and for the record...my sister Martha said that the money grandma made was put into a savings account and it did pay for both Ricky and Billy to go on missions. True story. Grandma Cassie passed away 24th March 1987 and there's a sacred story to her death that I'll have to save for another post. I love my grandma.


My Paternal Grandfather
"Pop" Dee Allen
He was born 6th September 1885; died 14th December 1975. Pop was a high school teacher in Grand Rapids Michigan. He taught drafting. With the help of his sisters, he raised his young family of five children who are all still living except for the oldest son, my uncle Jim. Pop lived with us after he had a stroke. His hearing was very poor by then but I can remember coming home after school and we'd play "Scrabble". I love that game. I can remember my father being very caring with him as he got older. Pop would take a walk everyday in the neighborhood to keep himself going.


4 comments:

  1. Thanks to grandma, every time I see a can, even a beer can, I think - MISSIONARY FUND!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What great stories about your wonderful grandparents! I love the cans for missions story! That is really amazing! Thanks for sharing them with us.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sweet Sheba,

    Thanks so much for sharing those memories. You are just the sweetest thing ever. I love you so!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beth, You are so sweet! I love to read your stories. I love your blog. You have the strongest and sweetest spirit I know.
    Congratulations on your new calling in the stake Relief Society. Sherri Mann could not have picked a better person to work with her.

    ReplyDelete