11 September 2009

Remembering 9/11/2001

I guess everyone remembers where they were eight years ago today. My experience was as most, I was doing my normal, everyday things. I had just taken Jessica to school and was home with Carson. Dave called me from work and told me someone had attacked the World Trade Centers in New York. I turned on the television and watched in horror. The next few days were quite numbing, wondering how something so horrific could happen. I can remember worrying for my children and wondering what awful things they'll witness in their lives. But I'm grateful for the knowledge that this life is just part of a greater and better afterlife. We all have to experience sorrow and pain in this life but I know its so we can truly appreciate the good things we have and to have faith in the better things to come. The day after the tragedy of 9/11, I was shopping at the store and I saw a lady wearing a gas mask. Seeing her made me wonder, is this the way the people of our country are going to be now, always living in fear? So, I was glad to hear the words of Gordon B. Hinckley when he said:
"Are these perilous times?
They are.
But there is no need to fear.
We can have peace in our hearts
and peace in our homes...
We can be an influence for good
in this world,
every one of us.”
~Gordon B. Hinckley

3 comments:

  1. I, too, remember feeling peace amid all the fear of the world at that time and for the knowledge of all we know - especially that of having a prophet of God on earth to guide us.

    Nice post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very well put Beth. I too was so grateful for the words of our prophet and the hope that it gave all of us to just keep doing the right things!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beth, your post was excellent.

    I remember sitting at my desk in shock. all the exchanges were sporadically working and then they finally shut down for the day. I sat there in unbelief as I watched the devastation and all the calamity.

    I do remember the peace that came from our leaders and the counsel we recieved. How grateful I was for that.

    It was really interesting to watch our entire nation join together as one as opposed to being one party or the other. It is great being an American.

    ReplyDelete