15 January 2009

MY FAMILY HISTORY RESOLUTION

WILLIAM WALTER & LULA RENZA LINDLEY STAPP FAMILY
Grandma Cassie--girl far right&Harry--right in back
Another one of my resolutions this year is to work more on my family history. One of the ways I would like to do that is to tell stories that I know about people in my family. I thought I would try to blog stories on the day of each person's birthday. I'm a little late for the first person but it is HARRY ELMO STAPP, who was born on 12 January 1912 and died 5 January 1962. He was my grandmother CASSIE'S youngest brother. My grandmother's family was known for being very spiritual and there is a story that when Harry was a young adult, one of his cousins was killed in a tragic dynamite accident and Harry had told members of his family that this cousin had died before anyone had gotten word of his death. Most of my grandmother's brothers and sisters were uneducated and grew up working in the fields on farms in east Texas. They were hard workers. As a man, Harry worked at a packing company in Northern California and with hard work, he was able to work his way up in the company and make a good living for himself and family. He died young. He was nearly fifty years old and passed away during surgery.
"I have a family tree
with branches by the dozens,
I have grandpas, I have grandmas,
I have uncles, aunts and cousins."
Mary Ellen Jex Jolley

1 comment:

  1. What a great idea! You know my family on my mom's side comes from Texas and worked on farms in Northern California! Who knows maybe they knew eachother! I will look forward to reading more about your family! It inspires me to do more with my family history!

    ReplyDelete