22 January 2009

MY GRANDPARENT'S ANNIVERSARY


My maternal grandparents, Virgel McMullin & Cassie Stapp married 22nd January 1927. It was my grandpa's second marriage, my grandma's first and she was twenty-seven when she married. They met in California. Both their mothers had boarding houses on the same block in San Dimas. They raised my grandfather's two sons, Lewis and William and my mother and her twin brother Dorothy and Doyle. They are remembered for many things, one was homesteading property in the desert of Lucerne Valley California for three years which is still in the family. Virgel worked for the Pacific Electric Railroad for thirty years and they lived most of the time in San Bernardino. They lived their later years in San Dimas, my grandpa owned pool hall "Mac's". They also had a boarding house for several years. Cassie was a member of the Mormon Church and introduced her faith to Virgel. He accepted it and joined the church in his older years. One story I remember grandma telling was when the two of them got married. Grandma Cassie never liked her name and when grandpa and grandma were courting, she told him her name was "Billie" It wasn't until they got married and my grandma signed her name on the marriage license that grandpa knew that her real name was "Cassie". I have fond memories of getting in the car and driving about 2 hours to my grandparents house as a little girl. They had an old house and my grandmother was quite the "pack rat". My siblings and I used to have such fun adventures at their home, playing dress up in old clothes and playing different games with all their collectibles.

2 comments:

  1. Martha looks like your grandma! I hope my grandkids will have fond memories of coming to my house...even if I'm not a pack-rat!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you're writing this down. You know more then me. Thanks for the family info.

    ReplyDelete