25 February 2009

My February Recipe

DAVE'S FAVORITE
"OLIVE GARDEN" TOSCANA SOUP
3/4 cup onion, diced 1/8-inch
1 slice bacon, 1/4-inch diced
1 1/4 teaspoon garlic, minced
1 ounce chicken bouillon
1 quart water
2 medium potatoes, cut in half length-wise, then cut in 1/4-inch slices
2 cups cavallo greens (kale can be substituted), cut in half and then sliced into 1/16-inch strips
1 1/2 cup sausage link - spicy pre-cooked, cut in half length-wise, then cut at an angle into 1/2 inch slices
3/4 cup heavy whipping cream
DIRECTIONS: Place sausage link onto sheet pan and bake in 300 degree oven for 15 to 20 minutes or until done. Place onions and bacon into 3 to 4 quart saucepan and cook onions over medium heat until the onions are almost clear. Add garlic and cook for 1 minute. Add chicken bouillon, water, and potatoes, bring to a simmer for 15 minutes. Add remaining ingredients then simmer for 5 minutes and serve.

This is Dave's absolute favorite and you don't have to go to "Olive Garden" to enjoy it.

3 comments:

  1. That sounds so delicious. Do you think it would work as well with Jimmy Dean sausage? I think I'm going to try it this weekend and also substitute coconut milk for the cream.

    I'm kind of a substituting rebel in the kitchen although it can lead to disaster. (Do you know I once burned our tongues when I used too much salt in lentil soup? Ick!)

    Keep them recipes a'coming!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love how you put a recipe in every month! I'm going to start doing this too! We love that soup too! Thanks for sharing it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lindsey--I'm famous for interchanging recipes but I wouldn't change the sausage on this one but hey, let me know how it goes. Ya never know.

    ReplyDelete