14 February 2009

You're My Inspiration--Dave

HAPPY VALENTINE'S DAY

DAVE THE MARATHON MAN
at Myrtle Beach Marathon 2006
He missed it this year

Anyone that knows me, knows that I'm not a person that shows a lot of "public display of affection." In fact, true love is so emotional to me that I keep a lot of it locked in my heart because I can get so crazy and goofy about it. Another reason I don't talk about it a lot is that I'm a afraid that if I get too repetitive with my love expressions that it could be perceived as insincere because I'm always teasing an joking about my husband. Anyway, but this is Valentine's Day and I truly love my husband and want to express it. Dave has been an inspiration to me from the moment I met him. About twenty-seven years ago, I was visiting a friend in her apartment at BYU--Provo, Utah. As I looked out her window, I saw this guy going door to door to each apartment and my first inclination was to think "What's with this guy," is he mooching food from every girl in the apartment building." Then my friend told me he was the elders quorum president and that he does that all the time. He just likes checking up on everyone. When he eventually got to my friend's apartment and I met him, I was totally smitten. Dave is so good, not only spiritually but in almost every way. I think his most endearing trait is that he is so self-sacrificing. Whether it be church service or going the extra mile for a customer at work. He tries to help everyone he can, almost too much in my opinion but that's another story. This year is the first year that we've missed the Myrtle Beach Marathon or half Marathon. Dave loves to run, he even got me to run a marathon one year that's how inspiring he is but we just had too much going on to get there this year. When Dave became bishop he had just bought a new pair of running shoes. He brought them to church the day he was sustained and told the ward that he knew he would have to give up most of his running because he knew being bishop would take up a lot of his time. So its a little sad around our house today because we missed our annual trek to Myrtle Beach to see Dave run but its bittersweet because we know he's dong nobler things. But, just for the record. . . He's out running right now. He hasn't given it totally up. . just some of it. I love you Dave, thanks for putting up with my weirdness all these years.

I love this quote because it sounds like something I'd say,

"We are all a little weird,
and life's a little weird,
and when we find someone,
whose weirdness is compatible with ours,
we join up with them
and fall in mutual weirdness
and call it love."
Anonymous

4 comments:

  1. That is so nice! And I love that quote because it is so true and then we look around and think everyone else is weird and they are looking at us thinking we are weird! Hahaha! Have a great Valentines Day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing your romantical thoughts. Dave is an inspiration to alot of people. Everytime I see him he has a smile on his face. I guess he is so happy because he is married to you. Love you! Happy Valentine's Day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How fun to read about you two! Happy Valentine's Day !!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the quote though it begs for an explanation as to just how wierd my kids will yet become...

    I'm afraid....vewy afwaid...

    :)

    ReplyDelete