21 July 2009

Childhood Memories

Lancaster, California - Good Old Days

I was born in Lancaster, California and lived the first twenty years of my life there. I have lots of good memories going to 4th of July picnics at Jane Reynolds Park, Christmas parades on Lancaster Boulevard, outings in springtime to the beautiful poppy fields. Lots of family fun. My parents taught me good principles even though I didn't always know it at the time. I can remember one time in particular when I was five years old and my mom took all us kids to Safeway Grocery Store for shopping. I wanted one of the penny candies that was in the big basket on the side of the isle. My mom refused. So, I thought, "no one would notice one little candy missing from that gigantic basket." So, when no one was looking, I snuck a piece. As I put the piece of taffy in my mouth, the sickest feeling suddenly came over me. "GUILT" I had never felt so sick inside in my whole entire young life. When we had gotten into the car to leave, my mom could tell something was wrong with me. So she quizzed me and it didn't take long to start bawling and owning up to my transgression. She told me that I wouldn't feel better until I paid for the candy. So she gave me a penny and took me back into the store and I stood in line sheepishly, still feeling terrible for what I had done. I gave the sale's clerk the penny and he asked what it was for. I admitted to him that I had taken candy without paying for it and told him I would never do it again. With a smile he asked, "You promise?" I nodded, trying not to look into his face for fear I might start crying again. My mom was so right. I felt like a big burden had been lifted. I learned very early in life how important it was to own up to my mistakes. I'm grateful for that lesson as well as a lot of the other things my parents taught me over the years.

Come little child, and together will learn,
of His commandments, that we may return
Home to His presence, to live in His sight
Always, always, to walk in the light.
Clara W. McMaster

2 comments:

  1. That is the best story! I can see your mom kind smiling when she sent you back into that store! You were just a good person from the very start Beth!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoyed reading your story. You are so right about that guilt. Always own up to your mistakes an humble yourself to admit your wrongs! I wish members of congress would do that!

    ReplyDelete