01 July 2009

Key Lime Pie Recipe and Memories

I went on my mission for the church June 15th 1978. I served in the Florida, Ft. Lauderdale Mission. I was called to be a spanish speaking missionary so I spent a majority of my time in the most southern part of Florida. One of the best parts of being a missionary is getting to eat new foods. Since I served with the spanish community, cuban cuisine was what I sampled the most, as well as food from all parts of Central and South America. It was wonderful! I love all spanish food but I wasn't particlularly fond of their desserts (probably why I stayed thin on my mission along with all that tracting) Anyway, I did love something that originated in the Florida Keys and that is "Key Lime Pie." I was first introduced to it on my mission and it is delicious. Enjoy this recipe!
Key Lime Pie

CRUST:
16 Graham Crackers
3 Tablespoons Sugar
1 Stick of butter
PIE:
4 Large to Extra Large Yolks
1 - 14 oz. Can Sweetened Condensed Milk
1/2 cup Key Lime Juice (about 12 key limes)
2 teaspoons Lime Zest

INSTRUCTIONS: Crust: Mix the ingredients and press them into a 9" pie plate. Bake in a preheated 350F oven for 10 - 12 minutes until lightly browned. Place on a rack to cool. Pie Filling: Use an electric mixer and beat the egg yolks until they are thick and turn to a light yellow, don't over mix. Turn the mixer off and add the sweetened condensed milk. Turn speed to low and mix in half of the lime juice. Once the juice is incorporated add the other half of the juice and the zest, continue to mix until blended (just a few seconds). Pour the mixture into the pie shell and bake at 350F for 12 minutes. After cooled, top with whipped cream. Yum, this recipe is best if using fresh ingredients.
"I am not a glutton -
I am an explorer of food”
~Erma Bombeck




Me, 1978, Hialeah Florida


3 comments:

  1. I was so proud of you for serving a mission! I really wish my girls would serve missions.....I was going to if Ben didn't marry me, but alas he did! Don't you love Cuban food! It's the best!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm all about this post. I don't remember seeing this picture of you before. It's from such a great time in your life. I always wanted to serve a mission. I will some day, but to do it when you're young is such a great experience. The Army of God moving forward, Key Lime pie and all. Hoorah for Israel!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I did not know that you served a mission in that area. I lived in Coral Springs just west of Pompano for about ten years at that time and I was baptized there in March 1979 after two sister missionaries knocked on my door. Did you know Georgia Smith (big red afro like hair) ang Laura Anderson (brown hair kept in a pony tail)?
    Justin was born in Plantation General. I grew up in Ft. Pierce, just above West Palm Beach. I love key lime pie also. I used to scuba dive a lot back then and was in the keys pretty regular for that. I would have loved to have gone a mission if I had been a member when I was young. I love your blog. Have a great day.

    ReplyDelete