30 June 2009

Grandpa Virgel Edgar McMullin

Born 29th June 1896, Virgel Edgar McMullin is my maternal grandfather. Grandma Cassie was his second marriage. His first wife Rita Lewis had died young and he had two young boys which my grandparents raised along with my mom and her twin brother. All have passed on except my mom who is in the hospital now for sickness due to her diabetes. Grandpa Virgel was introduced to the church by Grandma Cassie and finally joined at age 54. My mother says that she thinks he believed in the teachings of the church earlier than that but just didn't have the faith to live it. His poor health later in life changed all that. As he became older, he lost a leg because of a blood clot due to smoking. Its thought at that time it was an eye opening experience which turned him closer to the church and its teachings so he was baptized.
After being baptized, he started doing genealogy and he and my grandma took trips to Missouri and other family history spots. At age 70 he became ill with another blood clot and died the 16th July 1966. Its interesting to know that my grandfather had our family history line linked back to North Carolina, not too far from where I am living now. I've often hoped that I can further the McMullin line by finding a link here in North Carolina...maybe someday. I have many great memories of visiting my grandparents in San Dimas California at this old house pictured here. The big apricot tree on the side of the house made lots of treats from my grandma's hands. The old place was torn down years ago and made into a parking lot. I still enjoy going back there, on occasion, and remembering the good old days.




2 comments:

  1. Your mom looks like her dad! I'm sorry to hear that your mom is in the hospital. Give her my love! I definitely want to see you when you come to California. I'm going to be camping at the beach from the 13th to the 17th....so call me on my cell phone: 951-315-2504.

    ReplyDelete