27 June 2009

Pickin' and a Grinnin'

Last month I did a class on canning for Relief Society. I haven't been canning lately so it motivated me to get my old jars out. I did strawberry jam, chow chow, pickled beets, apple pie filling and for the first time ever I canned green beans. With my friend Debbie and her daughter Amy, we went out and picked beans for $9.00/a bushel. I was able to bottle 21 quarts from the bushel...whew! Thanks to Carson for helping with the snapping.
"Our Heavenly Father
created this beautiful earth,
with all its abundance,
for our benefit and use.
His purpose is to
provide for our needs as we
walk in faith and obedience..."
~The First Presidency




3 comments:

  1. I am going to teach myself to can....I have helped Kelly and Janet Baker before but I have never done it myself. But my tomatoes vines are loaded and I am going to have to have to can some! I love that Carson helped you do that, what a great memory for him. I'm gong to be sure Rachel helps me with the tomatoes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We picked the beans at Powers Strawberry & Farm Market, Lumberton. The beans weren't premium beans but I couldn't pass up the price. Next year, I plan on growing my own.

    ReplyDelete