16 June 2009

A Little Family History

Dad's Family
Dad (drum), Uncle Jim (piano), Uncle Bob (trumpet),
Aunt Betty(violin), Aunt Doris (clarinet), Pop in back
My dad's birthday was on June 11th and he turned 82 years old. Ironically his oldest brother Jim was born on the same day ten years earlier. His two sisters Betty and Doris almost shared the same birthday, born May 22nd and 24th and his other brother Bob born at the beginning of May. So all siblings had birthdays that were in the months of May and June. My dad's mother passed away six months after he was born and so he was left being raised by his father with the help of two loving aunts... Beth and Jean. My dad had much love for Aunt Beth and for her I was named. There aren't many pictures of my dad in his youth. This rare picture shows how musical my dad's family was. Most don't know that my dad loved to sing and perform. I never heard him play the drums even though he's pictured here with one. My dad loved sports and enjoyed coaching. He coached some Pee Wee Football but is most known for coaching Little League Baseball off and on for years. He also loved tennis. He joined the church when he was twenty-five. His sister Betty knew my mom's brother and they started having my parents write letters to each other when my dad was in the navy on a ship. In correspondence, he found out my mom was Mormon and started reading the Book of Mormon. He felt the Spirit very strong as he read it. He knew that what he felt was from God and so he was baptized into the church. He has always had a very strong testimony and is very sensitive to the Spirit. He loved helping the missionaries and bearing his testimony to all. As a senior, he served a mission with my mom in Nauvoo, IL. He also loved doing family history and has helped many searching their family trees. He loved being a home teacher and was a great example to me of giving service. My dad was diagnosed with Alzheimer's disease a few years ago and his body is aging with arthritis. For his birthday, my sister took him some homemade ice cream. She asked him if he was aware it was his birthday and if he knew how old he was. He answered "97." He laughed about it so we don't know if he was making a joke or just didn't know how old he really is. Some days are good and some are bad but I'm grateful for my father for his acts of service and his love for Jesus Christ. The other day in church, we we're singing "Abide with me 'Tis Eventide" and it brought tears to my eyes because I can remember my dad singing it with such passion as a child. I like the second verse the most:
Abide with me 'tis eventide.
Thy walk today with me
Has made my heart within me burn,
As I communed with thee.
Thy earnest words have filled my soul
and kept me near thy side.
O Savior, stay this night with me:
Behold, 'tis eventide.
O Savior, stay this night with me:
Behold, 'tis eventide.
Lowrie M. Hoffard

3 comments: