08 November 2008

"LIFT UP YOUR VOICE AND SING"

San Bernardino California Ward Primary 1938
(photo of my mom and her twin brother, Dorothy & Doyle)

A couple of weeks ago, we had our annual Primary Presentation. It's always a special moment for me because many of the most memorable times of my childhood are of singing in primary. My favorite Music Leader was Sister Keate. I can still picture her leading me to sing: "Popcorn Popping", "Lift up your Voice and Sing" and "Called to Serve" just to name a few.

Now I teach in Primary. So, I was able to relive some of those classic primary songs I learned when I was young plus some new ones ("If The Savior Stood Beside Me". . . Carson's favorite) As we sang in the presentation, the Spirit touched my heart, just as it first did when I was so very young. Ya know, a song truly is "a wonderful kind of thing."

"We shall make music to brighten the day,

Music will help us to lighten the way,

Lift up your voice! Lift up your voice!

Lift up your voice and sing!"

Richard C. Berg

FEEL HAPPY, SING!

4 comments:

  1. That is a fun picture! I feel the same about primary songs. They touch my heart and bring the spirit to me so quickly! I love to lift up my voice and sing, even if I am off key and flat most of the time, it is still a prayer from my heart. Smiles Danette

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know how much you love Primary. i think once you told me that you could stay in Primary and be happy. I love to see the new songs that are introduced each year for the programs. Thanks for your thoughts about Primary and music. You are still one of my favorite people:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey it's me again. My mom is also excited about seeing the Beaches. I figured out the blog stuf last night. It took me until 12:30 am. I saw you post. My mom liked your blog. She liked how spiritual it was.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Where are your mom and Doyle in the picture? How can I enlarge it?

    ReplyDelete