10 November 2008

REMEMBERING FATHER. . .

Living near Ft. Bragg, North Carolina, makes it easy to appreciate the service of our many men and women who put themselves in harms way for our freedom. Lately though, my thoughts are of my father. My dad served in the Navy for 6 years. He joined when he was in high school, returned and finished school and then re-enlisted after graduating. He didn't really talk about his military experience much but I do know that it was while he was in the service that he was introduced to the restored gospel of Jesus Christ by my mother. He read the Book of Mormon while at sea and was converted to its teachings. He is now 81 years old and sadly to say, he's been diagnosed with Alzheimer's. We don't get to visit as much as we'd like. He hasn't talked to me over the phone in years but when we visited last summer, he did recognize me and called out "Bethany" when he saw me which gave me great joy and comfort.
". . .And should they die
before their journey's through,
All is well, All is well. . ."
Jessica, "Coach" & Carson
Summer 2008
Visiting "Coach"
(Dad's endearing nickname)
My brothers called him "Coach" when
he was coaching them in little league baseball.
The name stuck and he's still called "Coach"
by all who know and love him.


VETERAN'S DAY MEMORIES 2008
(Jody P., Dave & Melissa G.)
Stake Youth Activity
Saturday, November 8, 2008
Placing Flags on Veterans' Graves

The Heavens Weep

"My Flag, My Flag, My Country's Flag,
I Love to See You Wave"

Jessica had a great time, rain and all.


1 comment:

  1. I love that picture of Coach. How do you get that on your computer? Did you scan it in? It would be nice to have those old pictures on the computer because them we could all have access to them.

    ReplyDelete