30 November 2008

MOST WONDERFUL TIME OF THE YEAR?

I have a little "crowd anxiety". So, I've only been out on Black Friday once and that was to a store I knew wouldn't be everybody's first choice to shop. But this year I've put off my Christmas shopping and I still have a little guy at home that I would like to see get the only thing he's asked for, for Christmas. My biggest fear was that this item wouldn't be available after Black Friday, so I decided to get up at 4:30 in the morning and see if I could get lucky. So, I went to the mall, and what a nightmare. The parking lot was filling up quickly and there were people everywhere. I fully expecting not to get what I wanted but to my surprise--I was successful. Mainly because this present wasn't on sale at this particular store. That was okay, though.

As I waited in line, I spent the rest of the time observing the crowd. A lot were angry because they weren't able to get what they wanted, others were upset because they weren't sure which line they were supposed to be in and a lot of store clerks were frustrated just trying to accommodate everyone. Wow, I started thinking, this should be the "most wonderful time of the year" but most people didn't look very happy. So, I decided to chat with different people in line and "be cheerful" like Elder Marvin J. Ashton would say. I don't know if anyone else got anything out of it but it made the moment better for me. As I purchased my item, I ended my experience with a bold, loud, "You Have a Merry Christmas" to the store clerk. I don't think he had heard those words yet that day. His countenance changed and he looked into my eyes and said, "you too" and then quickly went back to his duties. No crowd anxiety this time. I guess I've come a long way.
"What a joy it is to see someone of good cheer,
who, when others because of an unpleasant happening
or development live in angry silence or vocal disgust,
meets the situation with cheerful endurance & good spirits."
--Marvin J. Ashton

5 comments:

  1. I love shopping! Year round! But I was out on Black Friday too. (Just not at 4:30) Kudos to you for getting out there and getting what you wanted, and for being so cheerful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember those anxious moments in your youth allowing your little brother to drag you around a crowded Disneyland. You've come a long way Sheba. I love you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've got lots to do this holiday season and I feel that edgy feeling moving on me with dread, but your great post has helped me step into December with a little more cheer in my step. Thanks! I'm all about the Marvin J. Ashton quote.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Black Friday is scary. I am glad you made the best of it and also will make Carson happy on Christmas morning.Thanks for your example. You have always been a great example to me, especially when you were my YW president. Merry Christmas!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love that story! It's amazing how just being cheerful can change everyone's mood around you! Thanks for reminding me of that! I'm always too tired from cooking thanksgiving dinner to head out the next day. The few times I have done it is when we are in Mesa AZ and I go to Ben's aunt's for Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete